Aljezur is a small market
village , overlooked by a Moorish
castle from the 10th century. It is divided into two parts and lies in a fertile
valley with a patchwork of fields where various crops are cultivated.
The hospitality of the population is legendary and untainted by mass tourism. The annual "Sargo weeks", the town party on the 29th August or any 3rd Monday in the month is for everyone an attraction. At the farmers monthly market Medronho wine flows plentifully as the wine from Monchique. Innumerable large and small chickens are cooked on a grill and also eels which are caught in Aljezur's river.
nature park of the Vicentina coast stretches
from Odeceixe to Burgau a distance of approximately 80 kms coastline,
where in an atmosphere of sun, salt, sand and dunes, slate ground and lime
crevices, the possibility exists to admire around 100 different plant
types in their natural habitat as well as field flowers ... a true
paradise for nature lovers.
The fauna is also very rich in foxes, wild boar, badgers, wildcats and hares. Birds are also a great attraction of the Vicentina coast. By streams and moist areas one finds more than 20 different types of birds such as, herons, storks, diver kings, water fowl. The rock cliffs give sanctuary to ravens, rock pigeons, seagulls, crows and many other types of birds. Wild birds like eagles, hawks, sparrow hawks, codgers and owls share the sky with thirty different bird types and where the singing of the blackbird, nightingale and goldfinch can be heard right throughout the region.
opportunities await the holiday sportsman. Fishing, riding, hiking, mule
cart drives, para-gliding etc.
|Visit also the pages of @ljezur.net with more information about; car hire, banks, postoffice, etc.||Aljezur.net (Portuguese, English
- Sea Fishing
Castelo de Aljezur was built on a hill and, although nowadays ruined, it´s an important reference, because it dates from the 10th century, at the height of the arab occupation.
It is visible from every point of the village, and has two towers, one square and one round. Inside the thick walls, there is a watering hole covered by a vaulted ceiling. At the base of this hill, Fonte das Mentiras (Fountain of the Lies) evoques a remote moorish legend.
Was built at the end of the 17th century, this church served as nucleus of the Igreja Nova quarter. Its interior is composed of three naves, with an imposing main altar. It boasts a fine statue of Nossa Senhora da Alva (18th century) flanked by two 17th century statues, probably taken from the former main church, which was destroyed in 1755. The side chapels contain 17/18th century retables taken from the former monastery of Nossa Senhora d'Alva, in Monchique. .
Igreja da Misericórdia
Erected in the 16th c., rebuilt in the 18th c. after the 1755 earthquake.
Llocated right at the historical town centre, with its typical alleyways and whitewashed walls. Its relatively simple facade, highlighted by an 18th century bell-tower and Renaissance Style portal, was redesigned during renovation work.